Saturday, April 14, 2007

r2, dito

When you work in a hotel, a celebrity encounter is not far fetched. Since 2004, I have met an MP, a rugby team, a home make-over host and a member of the royal family. Last night, I had the pleasure of meeting the actor who played one of the most iconic characters in film. Kenny Baker, known to geeks as r2d2, checked in to the hotel with his wife.

He is the smallest man I've ever seen! Standing at less than four feet, he is the epitome of the word pint-sized. His other half is even taller than him by a few more inches.

One of my staff, who is a huge fan (no pun intended!) of Star Wars, couldn't contain his excitement. He asked for a picture with Kenny and autograph to which the latter gamely obliged. "For the first time in my life, Iam glad I went to work", I heard him say after. The wide grin never leaving his face.

Forgive me if I don't share my staff's enthusiasm after meeting r2d2. I just don't get the fuss about Star Wars. In fact, it was only two years ago when I saw the original triology. And I only found it okay, cheesy but okay. I haven't even seen the prequels, and judging from all the reviews, I don't think I ever will.

In any case, I was still amused. After all, it's not everyday you meet somebody from a galaxy far, far away.

No comments: