Saturday, August 01, 2009

Corazon C. Aquino (1933-2009)


The news of her death, although expected, still brought a shock. Former president of my beloved country, Corazon C. Aquino, passed away early this morning.

A couple of my working hours were spent on the internet reading obituaries from different international news websites. I felt a deep sadness and great loss as I read tributes from around the world. To them, she was an icon. To the Filipinos, she was the symbol of hope. Her quiet grace and extraordinary courage was an inspiration for most of us.

I was too young to understand what was happening in 1986; the People Power revolution that led to the overthrow of Ferdinand Marcos and the end of his authoritarian rule. At 6 years old, I asked my tatay who the lady in yellow was when I saw a poster outside my lolo's house. Tatay replied, "she is the face of Good".

From then on, for me, Cory Aquino represented everything that is good, honest and decent in the Filipino people. Her term as president may not have lived up to the promise of her bloodless revolution but she made numerous sacrifices for the restoration of democracy in the Philippines and unending fight against tyranny.

Maraming salamat sa biyaya ng Kalayaan.

No comments: