The only times I made a list of New Year's resolutions were in school. And it only took me a few days to break them all. If not for the extra points in English class, I wouldn't have bothered.
This year, I 've decided to make a list, not for myself but for other people instead. Here goes:
1. When inside the cinema, theatre, places of worship, etc., remember to turn that bloody cellphone off! Or if you don't want to, put it in silent mode, at least. It is rude to interrupt one's viewing experience by the blaring sound caused by your mobile phone.
2. Read a book. And if you like it, buy me a copy.
3. Pull those trousers up, nobody wants to see your butt crack.
4. Quit smoking. You know it's a bad habit.
5. Do us a favor by keeping the volume of your Ipod low. If you want to break your eardrums, suit yourself. But for world peace, spare us My Humps.
6. If you can, walk. By doing so, you're hitting two birds with one stone. Not only is it friendly to the environment, it also helps keep the body fit.
7. It's bad enough that you don't shower when you come to work, but could you at least put some deodorant on. And brushing your teeth is not a bad idea, either.
8. Conserve water. Shower with a friend. If you haven't one, a pet. And if you're that lucky, with your friend who is also your pet.
9. It's 2008, open your mind to new ideas. Your beliefs shouldn't put you back in the middle ages. Reading in dim lights doesn't damage your eyes.
10. Sometime this year, pack your bags and travel to some place nice. I personally invite you (if you're not Filipino) to visit the Philippines. Despite its flaws, it's still a wonderful place to visit. And to my kababayans, re-discover our 7,107 islands. Pandan Island in Mindoro Occidental is one place to start.
Seize all the fantastic opportunities that the new year will bring. And may all of us be good. Your Merry Christmas may depend on what others do for you, but your Happy New Year depends on what you do for others.